Tuesday 2 February 2010

African Music* with JJC

When you think of African music, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Is it resonating drumbeats, near-frenzied traditional dance and high pitched ululating? This is all well and good, but what if I was to tell you there is way more to African music than you seem to think?

Don't believe me? Well, lets take a look at some of my African music icons. First and foremost is the incredibly talented Oliver Mtukudzi. Born in Harare in 1952, Tuku's soulful sound is influenced by hypnotic mbira  melodies, the South African mbaqanga style and the rural trance rhythms of the Shona people. Oliver brought us hits such as Todii and the soundtrack for the Zimbabwean feature film Neria which won the M-net Best Soundtrack award in 1992 against the stiff competition of the highly acclaimed Sarafina. 


Another one of my legends is Miriam Makeba, also known as Mama Africa. Born in 1932 in South Africa, Miriam brought us classics such as the 'Click Song' and African music anthem, 'Pata Pata'. She was also a freedom fighter and testified before the United Nations about the injustices that occurred in her country under the rule of apartheid. As a result she spent many years in exile. 


The final member to be inducted into Chenai's Fabulous African Music Hall of Fame, which despite all appearances actually does exist, is the legendary Louis Mhlanga. I believe this man's music is the true definition of Afro jazz. According to his Myspace page, he not only started playing the guitar at the age of ten, but he is also completely self taught! If that isn't talent then my name is Edward Cullen and I play a vampire in Twilight. 


If the aforementioned legends are not enough to impress you, which I must say is highly unlikely, perhaps a list of all my favourite contemporary African artists will suffice? Well, there's Aya, Ayo, Nneka, Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni ba, DJ Cleo, DJ Clock, Mujava, Malaika, Freshly Ground, Mann Friday, HHP, Trenton and Free Radical, Chiwoniso, Jusa Dementor, Sahara C, DKR and Jozi. Just to name a few.

Not only are there so many rising and shining African music stars, but we find African influences in the music we listen to today. For example, if you were a martian and you visited the planet Earth, you might be misled into thinking that hip hop, among other things, belonged to America. I, being the helpful person that I am, would be quick to inform you that, according to Davey D's 'History of Hip Hop', rap actually finds its roots imbedded deep within ancient African culture and oral tradition.

If that did not convince you of the way African music influences music today, I might even get you to listen to Leonard Zhakata's 'Hupenyu Mutoro' then Shakira's 'Werewolf', and ask you to say, "Shakira doesn't have a sungura wanna be guitar in her song," with a straight face. Another song I might suggest you listen to to further prove my point would be M.I.A's explosive collaboration with European DJs and Malawian singer trio, The Very Best, 'Rain Dance'.

So we now know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that African music is not only iconic and legendary, but is also relevant to any who would, as I do, call themselves a music junky. The question is, where is African music going?



To help me answer this most befuddling question, I tracked down Nigerian producer and rapper, JJC aka Mr Skillz. I was very hurt that I could not interview him in person, but Mr Skillz is a very busy man, so a phoner would have to do:

C: A little birdie tells me you're going to Nigeria soon...
J: Yes, I'm going to promote my new single [We are African]. Its been a long time since I was back, I'm so excited.

C: So what inspired you to get into music?
J: Music was always around me when I was growing up, at parties and so on, so it kind of came naturally for me.

C: What do you enjoy more, rapping or producing?
J: I'd have to say producing. It just the the joy of making good music that it gives me.

C: Speaking of producing, you've produced for for Big Brovas, Lemar, Jamelia and many more. What was that like?
J: I guess I was just proud to be a part of making good music.

C: Which African artists did you grow up listening to?
J: Fela Kuti, Miriam Makeba, Sade... there are too many of them!

C: Who would you say is your icon?
J: Definitely Fela, his music is just incredible.

C: What's your favourite song by him?
J: I don't quite remember the name of the song, but it a really beautiful song about how we go to heaven after we die.

C: Which African artists are you listening to at the moment?
J: [laughs] I know this is going to sound arrogant but I have to say myself. I've got a new album coming out soon so I've just been going over each track to make sure it sounds good.

C: I don't blame you! I love your song [We are African]. So who do you feel are the movers and shakers of the African music industry?
J: I'd say Sway, 2 Face, and P-Square are really doing a lot in the industry at the moment.

C: Do you think African music is becoming more widely listened to?
J: Most definitely! If you go to a club in any of the big cities in England and you are bound to hear some African music played. I think this is because we Africans have managed to integrate ourselves into society by marrying across cultures and races. This means that people come to our weddings and family gatherings and get exposed to African music.

C: So where do you think African music is going?
J: African music is definitely going somewhere and I think one day, from this new generation of African musicians, we are going to see an African star rise, wit an African sound and an African voice.

C: Which African artists should we look out for?
J: Well, as I've said, its been a long time since I was back in Africa so I'm not really in touch with what's happening on the music scene. However I do know of one artists you should look out for...

C: Who?
J: ME! [laughs]

C: [laughs too] I couldn't agree more!


Check out JJC's video We Are African here.
 
 *underrated

No comments:

Post a Comment